Summer Blueberry Cobbler
with Vanilla Ice Cream
This is a great desert to bake with the kids on a warm summer day. If you have the time you can make the fig ice cream in this section to go along with the cobbler. Kids love to crank an old time ice cream maker.
1one quarter cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
one-half teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter
8 tablespoons half and half cream
4 tablespoons cane syrup
3one-half cups fresh or frozen blueberries
three-quarter cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
one-half teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 tablespoons orange juice
8 – 10 cups vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and butter. Using a fork or your fingers, knead flour and butter mixture until it resembles corn meal.
3. Add half and half cream, cane syrup and continue to mix until a soft dough is formed. Place on floured board and roll into flat crust. Set aside.
1. Combine berries, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, orange zest and orange juice in a bowl and mix.
2. Place filling in buttered 8 x 10 casserole dish and spread dough over top. Press dough down around edges to seal filling. Pierce holes in the top of dough with a fork to release any steam from cobbler during baking process.
3. Bake for 30 minutes until dough is evenly browned. Cool for 5 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Yields 8 –10 servings.
Chef Patrick Mould
Louisiana Culinary Enterprises, Inc
Return to Recipes