Chicken and Tasso Jambalaya
The jam in jambalya comes from the word "jambon" which is
the African word for ham.
1 chicken, cooked and deboned
reserving 3one-half cups chicken stock
three-quarter cup chopped onion
one quarter cup chopped celery
one quarter cup chopped bell pepper
1 tablespoon garlic
8 oz. chopped tasso
1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 (8 oz.) can Rotel tomatoes
2 cups Toro Brand
Long Grain Rice
one quarter cup minced parsley
one quarter cup chopped green onions
Directions:1. Heat oil in 6-quart saucepot. Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Add tasso, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning, thyme, salt, paprika, Rotel tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock and deboned chicken. Bring mixture to a boil.
4. Stir in the Toro Brand Long Grain Rice, lower the heat and cover the pot.
5. Cook jambalaya for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
6. Add green onions and parsley.
Yields 6-8 servings.
Chef Patrick Mould
Louisiana Culinary Enterprises, Inc
Return to Recipes