Spicy Marinara Sauce with Italian Meatballs
I never could get used to having meat sauce instead of meatballs to go with my spaghetti; my mother always made meatballs.
one quarter cup olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon dried basil or
3 tablespoons fresh basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano or
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
one quarter cup minced flat leaf Italian parsley
1 bay leaf
2 cups beef stock
1 10 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 - 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
one quarter teaspoon salt
one quarter teaspoon black pepper
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground turkey
one-half cup minced onion
2 tablespoons minced flat leaf
1 teaspoon each of dried basil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
one-half cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's
one quarter cup chopped onion
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
Spicy Marinara Sauce:
1. Heat olive oil in medium saucepot. Add onions, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley and bay leaf. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 45 minutes.
3. Add cooked meatballs and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Serve over cooked pasta.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine all ingredients until thoroughly incorporated.
3. Shape each meatball from one quarter cup of mixture. Place meatballs on a greased baking sheet
4. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and loosen with a spatula to prevent sticking. Place back in oven and bake for 20 more minutes.
5. Add to marinara sauce.
Yields 16-18 meatballs or 6-8 servings.
Chef Patrick Mould
Louisiana Culinary Enterprises, Inc
Return to Recipes