This is my version of a dish first introduced to me by Creole cook Merlyene Herbert. She and her husband Sam operate one of my favorite places to eat the Creole Lunch House in Lafayette, La. When I have guest from out of town I always bring them there it is a great place to introduce someone to Louisiana Soul food.
1 lb. Bryan Pampered Sausage
one-half lb. smoked sausage, sliced and quartered
1 cup cubed tasso
1 cup diced onion
one-half cup diced bell pepper
one-half cup diced celery
one-half teaspoon Tony Chachere's
1 teaspoon hot sauce
4 tablespoons flour
1one-half cups beef broth
one quarter cup cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons minced green onions
2 - 1 lb. French bread dough balls or frozen bread dough
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Heat saucepot over medium heat and add Bryan Pampered Sausage and smoked sausage. Cook until sausage starts to brown. Drain grease from sausage mixture.
3. Add tasso, onion, bell pepper, celery, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning and hot sauce. Sauté for 10 minutes. Add flour and continue to cook for 5 minutes, scraping bottom of pan with spoon.
4. Add beef broth and cook for an additional 10 minutes until meat mixture is thick. Add cheese and green onions and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Pour into bowl and allow to cool in refrigerator.
6. Place 2 - l lb. French bread dough balls on floured surface and roll out to one-half-inch thick rectangles (about 4 x 8 inches).
7. Divide filling into four parts and spread two strips of filling lengthwise onto each rolled out bread dough, leaving space between the two strips.
8. Fold about one inch of each end toward center. Then roll dough, using the long side, into a cylinder like a cigar. Seal ends with a dab of water.
9. Bake for 40 minutes.
Yields two loaves.
Chef Patrick Mould
Louisiana Culinary Enterprises, Inc
Return to Recipes